Welcome to the 2016 Virginia Tech Hokie Open Wrestling Tournament Web site! This year’s tournament will once again feature an OPEN division (any POST-High School wrestlers) and a FRESHMAN / SOPHOMORE division. In 2016 we expect 20+ teams to join us off campus at the Roanoke Civic Center’s Berglund Center as we kick off the 2016 – 2017 season on Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 10:01 AM. We will once again be wrestling on 14 mats to ensure a fast-paced tournament that we expect to finish before 4:30 PM. FloWrestling will be streaming the event all day. All 10 Open matches will be featured on Flo, along with some of the action on the Fresh/Soph mats. Real-time results will be available on-line.
We expect more than 300 wrestlers on more than 20 teams at this year’s edition of the Hokie Open as the 2016 – 2017 season gets underway. Once again the tournament will feature TWO DIVISIONS:
- OPEN Division
- FRESHMAN / SOPHOMORE Division
Teams That Participated in 2015 Included (2016 Team Placement at Division I Nationals):
- Division I – American University (Washington, DC, 27th), Appalachian State University (NC, 41st), Campbell University (NC, 50th), Columbia University (NYC, 50th), Duke University
- (NC) (31st), Gardner-Webb University (NC, 50th), George Mason University (VA, 65th), North Carolina State University (11th), Stanford University (CA) (19th), University of North Carolina (32nd), University of Tennessee – Chattanooga (60th), University of Virginia (48th), Virginia Military Institute, Virginia Tech (4), West Virginia University (47th)
- Division II – Limestone College (NC) – #11 in D-2, Region II for 2015-2016; Notre Dame College (OH) – #5 in D-2 Pre-Season Poll, #1 D-2 at end of 2014-15; King University (TN)
- NJCAA – Middlesex College (New Jersey)
Tournament Date/Times: Sunday, November 6, 2016; doors open to WRESTLERS and COACHES at 6:45 AM, skin checks at 7:45 AM, weigh-ins at 8:00 AM, doors open to PUBLIC at 9:00 AM, tournament begins at 10:01 AM sharp.
Registration Period: All registrations and payments must be made online during our designated registration period (10/7/2016 – 10/24/2016). There will be ONE REGISTRATION PERIOD from NOON, FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7th UNTIL NOON, MONDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2016